With MerchantsBox™, small businesses and individuals can easily access a digital banking platform for everyday business activities such as: account opening, payment card issuance, deposit services, investment offers, loans, payment acceptance, money transfer, stock management, POS management, agent banking and other value-added services.
RoleUser Research | Product Designer
MerchantsBox™ is a product of Innovectives Group, a financial institution company with a vision to promote financial inclusion in Africa by enabling all Africans to conduct commercial transactions on their mobile devices.
I joined Innovectives as a product designer among other top experienced managers and engineers. I support design across every aspect of our business and am responsible for leading UX and UI across key parts of the application side of the platform.
- Implemented a design process. This has helped our team establish more structure to how we conduct our work and allow other teams to gain visibility across our upcoming sprints.
- Established a design kit. This has helped to maintain consistency in the look and feel across different parts of the platform.
- Established a design system. This has helped the Engineering and Product teams to understand how and why we choose to implement certain components over others.
Our process starts with always designing for the Merchants (who are the core customers). We followed extreme measures which guided in the development of the product.
Understanding The Problem
Before the initial design, all product engineers gathered around to better discuss the pain points of the potential customers. I was able to perform quick research with details below:
- Understanding the merchant’s goals and needs
- Uncovering pain points with the existing user journey
- Determining the success of the tasks measured
I was able to gather insights on how best I can improve on the experience of other platforms offering the same solution.
- Merchants will now easily sign in with our Single Sign On model
- Merchants want to easily help customers “send money” with less clicks
- The existing platforms today don’t offer instant settlements on transactions.
- Making sure Merchants can easily access their profiles, manage their inventories and view transactions and manage their cash flow.
Developing The Designs
I created my high fidelity mockups in Adobe XD which allowed engineers to inspect the assets and export CSS codes. I worked very closely with the Product Managers to spec out any missing interactions that were not covered in the high fidelity mockups.
Results and TakeawaysSince the implementation of the build of the target customers, we have seen a significant satisfaction with the merchants. I have also received positive feedback from users about the simplified access to transactions, solving their biggest headache.
Some key takeaways from this project are:
- User testing doesn't end after development. Design is a constant iteration of improving the experience for the end user. Always find ways to collect and listen to your user's feedback.
- Involve engineering upfront. This helps to reduce any rework later on as an understanding of the technical limitations upfront will help to inform your design strategy.